Saturday, January 30, 2010

Time



Time is an odd thing. The more you keep it the faster it goes. I can't live without watches. Although they say that if you want to act like the "younger generation" you should only use your cell phone to tell time.
Time heals all wounds. Take your time. Or take your sweet time. Or time is of the essence. Or a stitch in time saves nine. Lost time. And so on.

I finally made the commitment to sell my rolex to help pay for my rent recently. It's been with me since 1993. A long time. I used to joke that it would save me some day. But I lost it this week. Took hours looking for it. Couldn't find it anywhere. That's $2,500 in the toilet. Classic. For me at least.

J.D. Salinger passed away this week. A long, lonely existence. At the end he couldn't speak and had to write on a pad of paper to communicate. We lived next door to him in Cornish, New Hampshire. He used to drive by our house in his jeep, leaving dust in his wake or walk by looking straight ahead jaw clamped shut. Hardly ever smiled. But that was a long time ago.

Time is relative. Time can't stand still. I've already tried it. Getting older is time sensitive. The longer you are in years the shorter time is in length. But it is the same time. Just from a different perspective.

I could write more but I'm out of time. Things to do. People to call. Need to keep track of who is in which time zone so I don't wake them up or miss them by a few minutes. Or hours. Or days:)

Watching television, surfing the web makes time stand still. At least it seems that way. The only shock is that when you finally do look up or at the clock or your watch or cell phone, hours have flown by.

All watches and clocks eventually run out of time. Electric, Wind-ups, atomic, battery-driven or solar battery-driven (especially when the sun goes down and it's time to go to bed). Alarm clocks. Especially alarm clocks.

The work week drags on. Weekends rush by. Your favorite food lasts two seconds. Your favorite moment lasts even less. They say live in the moment but when you try to focus on the moment, it's just a moment and then it's gone. Forever.

Isn't it funny. People always say, I'll be there in five, when they'll actually be there in 20.
Who ever came up with the division of time (although I'm going to look it up on google after I post this) must have had a lot of time on his hands. Or her hands. Or their hands.

Wish I had more time for everything. But now it's down to the wire and I'm running out of time.
And I'll just have to make time to make up for the time I've already lost.

(c) 2010

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete